This project was part of the overall strategy to expand production of ore at the Black Star Open Cut Mine in Mount Isa to replace underground mining at Mount Isa Mines that had concluded in 2005. An independent 600 metre overland conveyor was installed to feed the Heavy Medium Plant from the Black Star Crushing Plant. Black Star Mine is one of three mines that feed zinc-lead smelting operations at Xstrata Zinc’s Mount Isa Mine. This project was a key component in safeguarding the economic viability of Xstrata Zinc’s operations.
Mineforce was responsible for the structural and mechanical installation and commissioning, including tie-ins to the Crushing Plant and the Heavy Medium Plant building.
Scope of Work
- Surveying, installation and alignment of tail end section including chute work and skirting.
- Pre-assembly, installation and alignment of all surface running modules.
- Structural erection of take-up, drive tower and reaction frame.
- Mechanical installation and alignment of all drive tower equipment, including drive motor and gearbox, all-bend and take-up pulleys and guides.
- Erection of all conveyor trestles and galleries.
- Fit out and alignment of all conveyor components.
- Dry and wet commissioning.
Highlights & Achievements
- Successfully facilitated engineering changes to allow pre-assembly at ground level, resulting in the lifting and installation of 50 metre conveyor trestles in one piece.
- Safely delivered and commissioned the longest and tallest conveyor in the Mount Isa Mines operations.