- No 2 Concentrator Upgrade
No 2 Concentrator Upgrade
- Client:Xstrata Zinc
- Location:Mount Isa Mine, Mount Isa
- Timeline:2008 - 2009
- Contract Value:$50 Million approx.
- Contract Type:Schedule of Rates
- Onshore & Offshore Structural & Piping Fabrication
- Earthworks, Civil, Structural, Mechanical & Piping Installation
The No 2 Concentrator Upgrade for Xstrata Zinc incorporated major improvements to increase operational efficiency and expand the production of zinc/lead concentrate to 8 million tonnes a year, 60% above the plant’s current capacity. The project was a key transformational step for Xstrata Zinc in ensuring both the George Fisher and Mount Isa Mines continued to be profitable and in particular, the long-term viability of the zinc business. These improvements involved installation of a new Metso grinding mill, ball mills and floatation circuit to replace the existing plant and obsolete rod-and-ball grinding circuit.
Mineforce was engaged by Xstrata Zinc to carry out onshore and offshore structural and piping fabrication, earthworks, and civil, structural, mechanical and piping works associated in the new flotation area of the No 2 Concentrator.
Scope of Work
- Fabrication and installation of flotation structural steel
- Fabrication and installation of flotation columns
- Fabrication and installation of 22 flatbed feeders and 3 collector conveyors
- Fabrication and installation of floatation concrete cast in steelwork
- Erection assistance with the placement of floatation tanks
- Fabrication and installation of floatation pipework
- Civil construction of floatation area foundations, bunding and concrete pavements
- Civil construction of precast floatation tank bases, including design and fabrication of molds
- Civil construction of ball mill foundations
- Civil construction of new transformer bay and blast walls
- Installation of electrical switch rooms
Highlights & Achievements
- The No 2 Concentrator upgrade was a combination of both Greenfield and Brownfield construction. Mineforce consistently liaised with operating and maintenance staff to ensure a high quality deliverable, while minimizing production downtime during installation activities.
- Supply and delivery of 600T of fabricated steelwork and piping from both our local and offshore fabrication facilities on time and without defect.
- Provided an experienced and capable project team that was able to work in with the client to maintain flexibility in numbers and deliver results in a cost effective manner.